Kayaking.com

- Your Online Kayaking Source

Hi fellow & fellowette kaykers,
I'm doing some pre-car buying leg work and am curious if there are any Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester, or even Subaru Baja owners on this site? If so, what are the things you love about your car or truck style? What are the things you wish it had? Would you buy one again? It's mostly likely I'd be buying a used one, so if you bought used was there anything I should be especially aware of in a used Subaru?
Thanks in advance for any input. I appreciate it. :-)

Tags: Subaru

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't forget to "Count" the rest of them...

I bought a used 2000 Subaru Outback a couple of years ago with 118,000 on it. Right after I bought it (and I got a great deal so I am not complaining) I put about $1,500 into the thing, getting it running optimally. Since then, I have put almost 40,000 miles on it, and it has out-performed all expectations I have had for it with nothing more than maintenance. My feeling is that this type of car, with the all wheel drive, takes more general maintenance (tire rotations are pretty important), but the general stuff is not necessarily more expensive in my experience.

I run the Yakima rack system over the stock luggage rack, with the Yakima Big Stack as the kayak carrier (http://www.yakima.com/racks/kayak-rack/product/8004041/bigstack.aspx). I have had up to four full-sized sea kayaks on top of this car, with all the gear for a three-day paddle, and four big guys loaded up, and the car has done wonderfully. It performs well when called upon to live up to it's name.

Coincidentally, while looking for this car I was first inclined to buy a Ford F-250 crewcab diesel. They are great trucks, and the idea that I could go anywhere was appealing. What made my choice was their maneuverability. With an Outback, I am able to get gnarly in the wilderness, but also spend a night out with a good friend taking in the symphony, and both with no hassle.
Thanks James. Really good info here too. Appreciate the input a lot. It's sounding more and more like Subaru is the way for me to go. :-)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Geoff Jennings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service