Kayaking.com

- Your Online Kayaking Source

I have a tandem sit-on-top 75 lb kayak. I live in Fl and generally kayak on the bay or down easy-flowing rivers filled with trees that must be navigated around/under/over. I want a kayak that is light weight, single seat, easy to paddle and does not have much storage. I am not all that strong so I want one that will be easy for m to keep up with a kayak group going down a river. I also don't want to pay more than $400. What would you suggest?

Views: 1567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Geoff was right. The guy had already sold the Scrambler.
Curtis, I will check at BassPro. There's one down the street. Thanks.
I'm in no hurry so unless I really like the Otter, I will wait till a good one shows up on CraigsList. I'll let yo'all know.
I remember you saying that you were concerned about speed, for keeping up with a group. Most 10 foot boats are not going to be very quick in the water...

Just a note. I think the Otter would likely fulfill your other requirements.
IM thinking wilderness systems Tsunami 120 , 12 ft long , stable , fast , small storage hatches , very light...53lbs and will allow you to get the most out of every paddle stroke.....BTW if you live near the coast go to the kayak rental places , they are cleaning house this time of year
Thanks, but the Tsunami 120 sells for $950. I will look into what the 2 or 3 Kayak stores have. Craigslist has nothing that interests me.
I bought a 40 lb. 10 ft. Manatee from LL Bean's website. I got the package deal incl. paddle for less than $500 with shipping (I think the boat alone is $429 or $449?). I did TONS of research online before I bought and decided on this one for price, weight and large cockpit size because I knew I'd be paddling lakes with my dog or slow moving rivers. The Manatee is the Prodigy kayak relabeled for LL Bean, so if you read the reviews for the Manatee or Prodigy, it's the same thing.

While doing my research I did not find much out there for less than what I paid, but I imagine you can if you are patient and want to search various used kayak classifieds for the right one. The problem I found with buying used is that most of the sellers were not near the Pacific NW and weren't willing to pack and ship it. They were selling it based on someone in their town buying and picking it up. You may be luckier though since you live in Florida. I just wanted to get out on the water after doing about 6 months of research and was tired of waiting for "the deal". All that being said, I still feel like I got a great deal with the Manatee and it was MUCH BETTER than I expected in quality, manuverability, speed, tracking and stability. I have not second guessed my purchase for even an nanosecond. Hope this helps - TJ
Howdy!

It was interesting to read your post in particular, as it mimics my paddling on the large lakes in North Texas. For me, a sit-in (SINK) was the way to go. I had both a SOT and SINK and found that the SINK was far more versatile, much lighter, and more practical in every way over the SOT. That said, it isn't the best for heavy fishing and by comparison is more tippy (my SOT was nearly battleship stable). Stability is NOT an issue in my SINKs though; you'd have trouble rolling them. I have a Perception 11.0 (dagger model in the non-Dick's Sporting Goods line). It has a drop skeg which helps track or when retracted makes it very maneuverable. It tracks like a longer craft, and makes very good speed. The cockpit is comfortable and does have some storage behind you. It's small enough to squeeze into nooks without being so small as to be cramped.

I also have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100. The Pamlico is just about the perfect mix between a SOT and a SINK. While it is no where near as structurally rigid as the Dagger, and just about a foot shorter, it is nearly as fast, much more open, and even less tippy. The photographer or a person stowing extra gear will appreciate the very open cockpit (which also keeps you cooler). The Pamlico is lighter yet than my Dagger and is quite welcome when there's any sort of walk to the entry. It doesn't have a drop skeg, but does track very well, yet somehow maintains a good degree of agility (probably due to the shorter length).

Both boats can be found in your price range, and both would work quite well for your needs. I've tried several others (and even owned several others) but these two remain tops for long fast days paddling and slower days poking around in tight and interesting spots.
Thanks for your reply. However, that was 1-1/2 years ago that I was interested in getting a new kayak. How things have changed! I never did get one and now don't have the money to get one. The economy has taken me out of the game. In fact, I may try to sell my tandem on Craigslist, thanks for the thought.
Have a nice day, Al

RSS

© 2014   Created by Geoff Jennings.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service